Beer Stein from the Munchener Burgerbraukeller. Hitler Venue
Although this item has been sold, we have a range of similar items that may be of interest to you.
View similar items
Delivery Quote Request
Please fill in the form below to request a delivery quote from The Militaria Dealers.
Contact The Militaria Dealers
United Kingdom (+44), United Kingdom07775 661417 Visit dealer's website
Simply fill in the below form to get in touch with The Militaria Dealers regarding this item.
About this item
A real piece of history, this German Beer Stein was liberated from the Munchener Bürgerbräukeller in Munich, a significant venue in the history of the NSDAP and Hitler himself.
Approximately 160mm in height excluding the acorn top to the lid, the .5 Ltr. Stein carries the circular stamp in its stoneware base of Merkelbach & Wick in Prussia, and was produced during the period from 1879 – 1921 after which the company changed name. The lid is Pewter, impressed with the name of the Munchener Bürgerbräukeller entwined in oakleaves and whilst Merkelbach & Wick were also Pewterers, stampings to the lid are not discernible other than an obvious M.
Overall condition is very good. There is no damage of any kind.
The Bürgerbräukeller was where Adolf Hitler launched the Beer Hall Putsch in November 1923, and in 1939 saw an attempted assassination of Hitler and other Nazi leaders by Georg Elser. A time bomb concealed by Elser inside a pillar in the Bürgerbräukeller was set to go off during Hitler’s Beer Hall Putsch address on 8 November. The bomb exploded, killing eight people and injuring 57, but Hitler had cut short his speech and had already left. An idealist, Georg Elser, was arrested, imprisoned for 5 ½ years, and executed shortly before the end of the war. The building suffered severe structural damage from Elser’s bomb, and in subsequent years, 1940-1943, the Beer Hall Putsch address was held at the Löwenbräukeller at Stiglmaierplatz, and in 1944 at the Circus Krone Building.
It survived aerial bombing in World War II and became a Red Cross canteen under occupation by the Americans in 1945. The Bürgerbräukeller was demolished in 1979.